Sunday, August 25, 2024

Healthiest I've Been In A While

Noticed that I am the healthiest I have been in quite some time.  Recently saw my weight get down to the lowest part of my self-defined "range" of acceptable weights and stay there.  So its not like I magically dropped 25 pounds and it surprised me.  Its more like a subtle trend towards being less heavy.  I have always eaten fairly healthy and stayed physically active.  That hasn't changed, but there is something I'm doing right, so it is time for some self-analysis.

Exercise:

My weight training has probably increased and has been more focused.  One change revolves around my long-term goal of performing strict pullups, despite never being all that close to doing one.  Guessing that I have spent the last year building up the specific muscles to get me to that goal.  For starters, there have more a LOT more inverted rows.  That leads me to recent workouts where I feel like I'm getting closer to a strict pullup by using weigh offsets on a pullup machine.  Doubt that is it, but the intensity is extremely high, using major muscle groups, so it is not "nothing".

Strangely, I have gotten away from major lower body workouts, like back squats.  They just do not appeal to me anymore.  Instead, I have been embracing ATG/Knees over Toes workouts.  I start every gym workout with 3 minutes of backwards walking.  I end every gym workout with raised elevation Patrick steps (10/leg).  While this has been a positive change, I doubt it has done that much to my overall health other than help me avoid injury.

For the last 10 years or so, I have embraced running.  There were times when I worked up to 8 mile runs, but that usually brought on knee pain when I increased my distance or speed.  Thus, the reason I have been using the ATG workouts.  My gym workouts typically involve a 1-2 mile run, which have been consistent.  My overall weekly milage is low (~3-4 miles), so while I have been running, it has not been that much.  

The only other intense gym workouts have been Bench Press, Inclined Bench Press, Curls, "Cable Pushaways" and "Tricep Pulldowns with a flat grip".  Those are to get my arms looking bigger, which have worked a little bit.  Maybe the increased intensity has helped on these exercises?

Diet:

We all knew it had to be the diet, right?  Let's see if there have been some positive changes.

More meal-kit, pre-prepped meals that have been the default lunch since I have been working from home.  This helps with portion control and limiting overprocessed items from getting to the plate.  Big positive here.

After a recent well visit trip to the doctor, my blood tests showed my bad cholesterol was a little high.  My response was to reduce my cheese intake.  This was easy since I was incorporating cheese in so many ways.  Primarily, my breakfasts include omelets.  Lots of omelets.  That means lots of cheese.  Just before I realized I needed less cheese at breakfast, I had found a new way to make my omelets which was based on the Korean/Japanese method for Omarice.  I decided that instead of rice, I would use cauliflower rice and mix in other vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, broccoli) as a hash base.  Then the egg was basically a French style omelet laid over the hash.  The more I use this style, the less cheese I consume.  I also eliminated cheese as a snack.  This could be more impactful that I realize.

Summary:

No changes that I would consider major.  Weight training has been more intense.  My diet has improved with the drastic cheese intake reduction.  The results are essentially that my weight is less, but I feel better overall.  

No comments: